Party Wall Agreements

Whereas a party wall award is produced by either both appointed surveyors or the single agreed surveyor, a party wall agreement is a formal arrangement between two neighbours, in order to outline progress of work along a shared boundary. Party wall agreements can be drafted up and provided by Metcalfe Briggs Chartered Building Surveyors. Contact us today to discuss your requirements.

Works affected by The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

When the following work involves use of a party wall, a building owner must serve notice to the adjoining owner(s) of that wall.

  • Work to parts of the chimney such as the chimney breast where the breast protrudes from the party wall.
  • Basement underpinning (in cases of subsidence, or in strengthening foundations to allow for a second or third floor) where the party wall needs to be underpinned.
  • Creating a gap in a party wall to rest the RSJ or other joist as part of a loft conversion.
  • Foundations and other groundwork within 3m of a party wall or other shared structure. 

What is a party wall?

A party wall is typically referred to as a shared boundary between two or more separate dwellings or rooms. You must notify those who share the boundary with you if you want to build on or modify the party wall.

Legislation and guidance on party wall disputes can be found in the 1996 “Party Wall etc. Act” which can be found on the website.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 provides a required party wall mediation process to be undertaken by one or more appointed surveyors. This process need only begin in such circumstances where neighbouring owners are concerned with planned modifications to or construction upon a party wall.

It is advisable to come to an agreement with adjoining building owners before serving any formal notice. This can help to prevent any formal party wall disputes and the associated appointment of a surveyor.

If you do need a surveyor however, do give us a call today.